Outbreaks of cryptosporidiosis - a parasitic infection that causes severe diarrhea have doubled since 2014 - according to a report by WebMD. This infection is spread when infected feces get into the pool water and that water comes into contact with other swimmers. This usually happens by touch or ingestion - gross!
The main takeaway from the article is:
- Reports of cryptosporidosis are up 2x since 2014.
- If you have diarrhea don't go into a swimming pool.
- If you are feeling ill, don't go into a swimming pool.
- Take children out of the pool periodically for bathroom breaks.
- This parasite is very chlorine resistant - so even the best treated pools can harbor the parasite.
So in summary, stay healthy and follow the good advice above. Swimming should be fun for all - you should consider the health of others when going for a swim. If you aren't feeling well, it's probably best to stay out of the water.